Our Amazing Race
James and I looove the Amazing Race. We had not ever watched it until last year right after Jude was born. James had a week or so off of work and when the boys were sleeping we would sit on the couch and episode after episode. We both love to travel and James enjoys watching all of the strategizing that goes on. At that time we were renting the seasons and watching them pretty quickly. We do not have tv, (I mean we own a television) we just don’t have a cable package. Amazing Race comes on on Sundays so we are watching the current season on Mondays. We can patch it to our television from our laptop.
James and I are going on an Amazing Race of our own in about 3 weeks! Yup. James made a special Amazing Race just for us. It was my birthday, Christmas, Valentines, and everything else present for the year. He went ALL OUT. He special ordered envelopes off of the internet, had my mom spray paint them yellow, made customized bumper stickers to look exactly like the logo on the envelopes on the show, had those sent to our friends house in Nashville so I would not find them in the mail, then made legit rules, regulations, speed bumps, roadblocks, etc. He literally made everything look EXACTLY like the show.
What I know:
* I know he has arranged childcare with the grandparents for a week so it will just be the two of us. We have not been anywhere just the two of us since we went to visit friends in Oregon in 2008.
* I have been given an extensive packing list. I know I have to have clothes for extremely cold weather as well as a bathing suit. He is only allowing me to take one bag, not even a carry-on or anything.
* I have to surrender my electronics to him, so I guess no blogging that week.
* It is the first week of April (We will be missing our first week of spring quarter classes, but our professors have told us we can make up the work)
* I will be getting challenges and such along the way.
* We are flying on a plane.
What I know, but I am NOT supposed to:
* I think I know that we are going to Colorado. (There happens to be a chiropractic seminar there that we both wanted to go to that is the last 3 days of our trip dates. I put two and two together.
* I know he is using Groupon Denver to find some possible restaurants/activities. (We were sitting next to each other doing homework and “you’ve received an e-mail from Groupon Denver popped up on his screen) He has no other reason to have subscribed for that.
I have been to Colorado two times in my life. James was also on both of those trips. So were 50 youth students. They were two of the best trips I have ever been on, but all that to say I have never been to Colorado without chaperoning and having the responsibility of making food for 50 others or making sure that they are all where they need to be, safe, and having fun.
James knows that I know those two things but continues to pretend like they are not true. I will say something like “I can’t wait until we go to Colorado on our Amazing Race.” and he will say, “What do you mean? Who said that is where we are going?” He is very intent on keeping as much as he can a surprise which is really sweet because I am super hard to surprise.
Surprises I have found out in the past:
* Found out that James got me tickets to see Amy Grant with the symphony in Nashville the fall that we were engaged. I LOOOOVVE Amy Grant.
* I found out where our honeymoon was going to be. It was supposed to be a surprise.
* I found out about a surprise birthday party he threw me a few years ago.
* I found out he was giving me a Vita-Mix for my birthday when I turned 24
The list goes on and on, but those are some of the big ones that come to mind.
Needless to say I am suuuuper excited about this trip. I may even sleep past 6am some of the days we are gone. It will be hard to be away from my little chickens but I am so pumped about the idea of having an adventure with my best friend/hubby for a week! Stay tuned to see more of my clues and hear about our trip.